TDKR original villain was KILLER CROC!
I was watching an old episode of Batman TAS, one with Killer Croc framing Harvey Bullock, and it suddenly hit me, THE NOLAN'S WROTE THE TDKR SCRIPT WITH KILLER CROC AS THE MAIN VILLAIN, NOT BAIN. Having watched TDKR several times, and it being a great film, I just kept getting this feeling that something was amiss ; something just didn’t fit right especially with Bain’s origin and backstory. In fact, the movie seemed like to two different ideas sown together.
Why make the last minute villain-change? My thought is, due to a conflict with the Spiderman movie having a similar villain, the studio must’ve forced Nolan to replace Croc with Bain. Here is my reasoning:
1) The most obvious reason is that majority of the movie was filmed in a complex sewer system where Bain setup his lair. I couldn’t understand why Bain would choose the sewer system and not someplace above ground. If the villain were Croc, it would’ve been the perfect setting for his lair
2) The relationship between Talia and her protector (Bain) would've been much more significant and a lot deeper if it were a deformed creature that her father could not accept. I can easily understand why Ra’s Al Ghul would excommunicate a psychopathic, deformed creature to protect his daughter, and it would’ve made much more sense in the movie.
3) When Batman defeats Bain, he punches his mask making it hard for him to breathe. Seriously?? Bain is defeated due to a broken mask?? This would’ve been much more fitting if Batman drowned Croc or if Croc had some sort of breathing apparatus that Batman broke in order to defeat him. Also, the mask that Bain wore almost looked like jagged teeth of a Crocodile.
4) The plot to blow up the city wasn’t very Nolanesque. Nolan likes to use complex characters that are realistically grounded. It would’ve been fitting if a deformed mercenary named Killer Croc used the city’s complex sewer system to try to destroy it, something the League of Shadows or Ra’s Al Ghul would do, like causing an Economic collapse or turning the water supply into toxic gas so the city would tear itself apart. I think the bomb idea was quickly sown together for Bain.
5) There was even a joke made by "Robin" Blake when asked by Bruce why he hadn't gone to the police with info on Bain’s sewer system, Blake says, "they asked me if I had seen any giant alligators." Who else immediately thought of Croc?(This was probably Nolan's way of letting the true fans know of his intentions)
I think the movie as-is, is still a great film and it gets better every time I watch it. However, I think the movie would've made a lot more sense if Croc were the villain, with the plot being along the lines of him trying to destroy the city by flooding it. In fact, in one of the scenes, they flooded the chamber where the bomb was originally placed. I just think that there were too many references to water in TDKR for Croc not to be in the movie. Also, when the first rumors for the movie were coming out, there were reports on CBM that Nolan wanted to use a villain never used before and was in fact using Croc.
Is it just me or does anyone else see this?
: This article was submitted by a volunteer contributor who has agreed to our code of conduct
. ComicBookMovie.com is protected from liability under "safe harbor" provisions and will disable users who knowingly commit plagiarism, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement. For expeditious removal, contact us HERE