THE HOBBIT WILL FAIL
This is an editorial proving that The Hobbit won't be a good trilogy. Also why Peter Jackson isn't that good of a director.
2012 is coming close to an end and we can't stress enough how much movies have been so great this year. Whether you disagree or agree, whether you are a Nolanite or Marvelnite; movies really have made a difference this year. One movie though that stands out at the end of the year is THE HOBBIT. The Hobbit gets released on December 14th this year. But is this movie going to be worth while? Is it going to be what we have been looking for in a very long time since The Hobbit's development in 2004? DOESN'T SEEM LIKE IT TO ME!
So as any fan of any adaptation there is always something to bitch at. Story, characters, writing, direction, cast. When I found out Peter Jackson was directing The Hobbit, I jumped with joy. But why two films? I didn't wanna get into it but hoped Peter Jackson could deliver something as epic as the LoTR trilogy in two films. I do miss Middle Earth and this was the only way we can see this movies in theaters. When the first trailer hit I didn't jump with excitement but I wanted to see it just didn't have that OMG I CAN'T WAIT factor to me. I read the book in 7th grade and then read it again after the trailer hit. Again why does everybody think this movie is going to be so awesome or EPIC? I never understood that, in fact I don't think any body even knows what epic means in film sometimes. So back to what the point of this editorial is explaining why I think The Hobbit will fail. Here is why and even though it's one or two flaws, they are very apparent and can hurt the movie really bad.
Splitting the films is a terrible idea. Fans of the book will know that The Hobbit is less than 400 pages compared to the LoTR trilogy to which all the books are over 500 pages long. As a film it worked, it delivered this new magnificent world of Middle Earth. All three films we're put perfectly into place with Frodo going on a quest but it gave you other characters to love. Aragon, Gandalf The Grey and White (in the movie I never saw the difference honestly but the book clearly states it a lot more) Legoles, Sam, Bilbo Baggins, Sauron etc. all characters who stood out to moviegoers and me at the time. Now that The Hobbit is coming out and Warner Bros. owning New Line means that they wanted to of course capitalize on LoTR as much as possible seeing how much of the fan-base has grown through the years. Making The Hobbit is probably the only logical reasoning to go back to Middle Earth. But it's pretty obvious they don't care about the book, the book is only (no shit) 310 pages. What are you explaining? The Hobbit book was a fast paced action adventure, it didn't have slow moments. It's not even that good honestly it just explains who Bilbo is and how he got the ring and the adventure that is around him. Another reason I see this movie sucking is that it is pretty much THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING! How? Wizard comes to a hobbit and asks him to join him for an adventure, he's hesitant at first but then decides to leave and have an entire group with him to join to where Bilbo actually goes through his own personal journey as well. But to be completely insulting to the audience we feel it's necessary to add Frodo in The Hobbit, Legoles, and other characters as well to make the whole thing come together nicely. It's insulting, the book has other things that connect solely to the trilogy, why have these characters that are not even present in the book to be put in the movie. Instead they are put in at random for no reasoning at all.
So to explain all this they split the moves in two, to make it all worse they instead decide to split it in 3 films. A lot of fans can say this bullshit excuse of OH HE IS USING TOLKIENS NOTES...IT'S COOL....There is a reason why they are called notes. Meaning Tolkien wasn't so sure to put it in the final book or maybe was left out because he didn't feel too strongly on it. This is where the movie just heads straight into fan-fiction. Sure fan-fiction is a cool read but is it something to waste over 500 million dollars alone for all three movies? Three films for 310 pages, does that make sense? It's a fast paced action adventure fantasy, don't get me wrong it does have epic moments, but not as epic as LOTR at all. This is where I point out why Peter Jackson is nothing more than just someone who is in it for cash only. It's sad because he has a lot of talent. You can tell he really cares about the source material shown in LOTR trilogy. But thats all I feel he has done that is good. I wouldn't state King Kong as a good film either. It's ok but the movie tries to remake an American classic with British actors entirely. And I mean ENTIRELY! The only two Americans we're Colin Hanks and Jack Black. The movie not only smacks King Kong in the face but it tries to deliver this epic feel to it. He succeeds in that part yea because Skull Island is supposed to feel epic, but why would you wanna remake something that has been said to be a favorite? Jackson never understood how great the original was. Sure it was old, but it was groundbreaking. Remaking a groundbreaking film is ridiculous as these Hobbit prequels, IT'S JUST FOR CASH! Why do you think after King Kong he really didn't do anything with movies, what District 9? He just produced it. Again he takes these prequel trilogies as I guess his retirement fund. He's slapping these fans in the face with these prequels, in fact hurting what the other films stood for. But this is coming from a director who really doesn't do anything original except remakes or go to source materials. I'm sure when he directs his heart is in the right place but he doesn't look at what people would want or fans will care about. In fact he does do what fans care about, bu making a three part trilogy of a 310 page book. Fans are caring because they are either fans of Jackson who think he is an absolute great director or they are just fans of the movies and not the books. Other fans care because well they read the books, play the games, watched the movies. I read the books after the second film came out to gear up for the third film. I grew up watching these films like if it was this generation's Star Wars (seriously if you can't find the similarities get the fuck off this site, your not a geek or nerd) it was a trilogy to established a huge fan base and franchise that is still talked about till this day. At least Lucas had a point to his prequels even though you already knew Darth Vadar was going to die, it's interesting to see how Darth Vadar came to be. Lucas failed though and Jackson will as well.
Anyone who says this movie is going to be awesome is in total high hopes for the movie obviously and that's fine. You people do care and you are fans, but I'm telling you when this movie comes out I suspect a mixed reaction. We all know Bilbo's going to make it, we all know he is going to give the ring to Frodo. This prequel is nothing more than just another way Warner Bros. can jump right into another franchise that is an easy way to make money. Don't believe me? You'll see. Again this is an editorial to not bash the movie but I do believe this movie is going to fail. It has this huge amount of hype and it's pretty balsy that they want it to make three parts when the first two we're made. Why not just release the footage on DVD? I respect Jackson but at times I really don't. He's got a good vision on most of his films but sometimes you could tell he's just making it for purposes to which he believes he can make massive money on. The Hobbit will probably make a shit ton of money but will have this lukewarm response, a response not as strong as the first trilogy. Then people are going to find ways to bitch about it like everyone does here (including me) and then say it sucks compared to the first trilogy. It won't be the best adaptation, it clearly isn't.
Comments? Sound off if you feel. Again not calling out anyone if this is something you wanna discuss or feel differently towards too then go ahead. You don't have to take my word for it, but on my birthday (DECEMBER 14TH NO LIE) I can sit here and laugh and write in the comments (if not too stoned or drunk) I TOLD YOU SO. I hope you guys say I TOLD YOU SO TO ME and prove that I'm wrong, shit I hope I am wrong about this movie, hopefully it could be good. That chance for me though is a 15 percent chance out of the 85 percent that I feel this movie will fail. Again we will all have OUR TOLD YOU SO'S.
SOUND OFF PEOPLE! LIKE TO KNOW TO WHAT YOU FEEL ABOUT THE HOBBIT!
: ComicBookMovie.com is protected under the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) and... [MORE]