Has Bill Murray signed on for Ghostbusters 3?
Over the past few days, the internet has been flooded with stories about Bill Murray signing on for Ghostbusters 3. However, what we have are 2 completely different sites which both source eachother as the originator of the story, hit the jump for more.
For the past few days, google search engines have been flooded with article after article which for the most part has just been copied and pasted from one site to another. The subject of the article? Bill Murray signs on for Ghostbusters 3. The story is a back and forth as to which site scooped the story first. On one hand, we have Hollywood.com which is somewhat E! for the internet, which sources superofficialnews.com in their article about Murray. On the other hand, we have Superofficialnews.com which is the mutant clone of the The Onion, providing the internet with fake news and scoops.
When I read the articles, (and trust me I read each and every article last night and this morning which produced the story) there was something that was a little curious. In superofficialnews.com's article, they refer to someone who spoke with Bill Murray at one of the parties that Mr. Murray crashed during his Party Crashing Tour earlier in the year. Who was this that Bill spoke with and Super Official News quoted? The answer... Kaiser Solzie. Before you guys get up in arms, this is not Keyser Söze from the film "The Usual Suspects" this is a 26 year old New York Street Musician who was named for the character. Below is an excerpt from the Super Official News article as to what Solzie said.
“In Austin I actually got to talk with him for a few minutes, what a cool guy,” Solzie says. “I said Ghostbusters 3 wouldn’t be the same without you. He told me if he did decide to do it, I could have a role in the movie.” Solzie laughs, “Now that Bill is doing the movie I sure hope he doesn’t forget what he said to me.”
I did some searching and found Solzie's facebook page. I have sent him a message asking him to please confirm or deny the comment, but have yet to receive a reply, however upon looking through his page for any evidence what so ever, I discovered that he had indeed shared the very article he was mentioned in, suggesting to me that that part of the article is true. As we all know, if a portion of an article is confirmed as true, then that gives strong supporting evidence for the rest of the article but doesn't get it out of the woods quite yet.
Hollywood.com has posted an update on their article "UPDATE: Hollywood.com has reached out to Sony regarding WENN's story, but has been unable to confirm at this time."
Below, you can read both Hollywood.com's article and Superofficialnews.com's article, in the yellow.
First up is Super Official News' article:
Hollywood, CA — Ghostbuster’s fans around the world are celebrating as it has just been confirmed by Hollywood.com that Bill Murray has signed on to do Ghostbusters 3.
For years it has been unclear whether Murray would be joining the rest of the cast, which includes Harold Ramis as Dr. Egon Spengler and Dan Aykroyd as Dr. Raymond Stantz, or even if the movie would ever be made at all. In September on the red carpet at “Hyde Park on Hudson” Bill Murray admitted there was another Ghostbuster’s script in the works and that he was considering it.
Ramis told reporters how he had received word that Murray was agreeing to the project. “Yeah, it was kind of crazy,” Ramis said. “Just out of nowhere, I get a phone call from Bill at almost three in the morning on Thursday and he simply said, ‘Yeah, ok, I’m in’. That’s Bill Murray for you. Surprising and straight to the point.” Ramis continued, “Bill also said a major factor in his decision to do the movie had been all the support he received from fans during his 29 city ‘Party Crashing Tour‘ earlier this year.”
26-year-old Kaiser Solzie attended one of the parties that Murray appeared at during the tour. “In Austin I actually got to talk with him for a few minutes, what a cool guy,” Solzie says. “I said Ghostbusters 3 wouldn’t be the same without you. He told me if he did decide to do it, I could have a role in the movie.” Solzie laughs, “Now that Bill is doing the movie I sure hope he doesn’t forget what he said to me.”
Paul Horner who is one of the co-writers that assisted Etan Cohen in writing the script had heard that Murray could possibly be a part of the third movie. “Word through the grapevine was that Murray enjoyed reading our script that was passed along to him a few months ago. As for if he was going to be a part of it, well that was the million-dollar question,” Horner said. “The writers, the cast, the fans… everyone is truly excited for this to have finally all come together.”
Ivan Reitman, who directed Ghostbusters 1 & 2, will return once again to direct this highly anticipated film. Returning stars from the original movie are Sigourney Weaver as Dana Barrett and it’s said Rick Moranis could come out of retirement to perform as Louis Tully. Possible new faces for the project are Ashton Kutcher, Seth Rogen and Vincent Kartheiser.
Shooting for Ghostbusters 3 is said to begin in the fall of 2013, but now with Murray on board, filming for the movie could start as soon as February of next year.
Now, Hollywood.com's article:
Lost In Translation star Bill Murray is back on board the Ghostbusters 3 movie after reportedly dropping out of the sequel.
Co-star Harold Ramis has confirmed the funnyman will be reprising his role as Dr. Peter Venkman in the follow-up to 1989's Ghostbusters II.
The news comes after Murray stunned reporters on the red carpet at the recent Hyde Park on Hudson premiere by revealing he was considering returning to the franchise.
Before that, fans and castmate Dan Aykroyd, who has been championing the third film for years, had all but given up hope that Murray would return - this past summer (12), the Canadian actor, who played Dr. Raymond Stantz in the first two Ghostbusters films, told Metro magazine the project would be moving on without its star.
Aykroyd said, "He (Murray) won't be involved... It's sad but we're passing it on to a new generation. Ghostbusters 3 can be a successful movie without Bill. My preference would be to have him involved but at this point he doesn't seem to be coming and we have to move on. It's time to make the third one."
But it seems there has been a change of plan.
Ramis has received word that Murray was agreeing to the project.
He tells SuperOfficialNews.com, "It was kind of crazy. Just out of nowhere, I get a phone call from Bill at almost three in the morning... and he simply said, 'Yeah, OK, I'm in!' That's Bill Murray for you. Surprising and straight to the point.
"Bill also said a major factor in his decision to do the movie had been all the support he received from fans."
And co-writer Paul Horner is thrilled about the news, adding, "Word through the grapevine was that Murray enjoyed reading our script that was passed along to him a few months ago. As for if he was going to be a part of it, well that was the million-dollar question. The writers, the cast, the fans... Everyone is truly excited for this to have finally all come together."
Ivan Reitman, who directed Ghostbusters 1 and 2, will return for the third film. Sigourney Weaver will also return as Dana Barrett, and reports suggest Rick Moranis will come out of retirement to reprise his role as Louis Tully. Ashton Kutcher, Seth Rogen and Vincent Kartheiser have been suggested as cast newcomers - and possibly the faces of the new Ghostbusters.
Shooting is scheduled to begin next year (13).
So what do you guys think, could this be a rare reliable story that's been passed off as a hoax or could this be a hoax that's passed off a true? Only time will tell, but as soon as the news breaks on Sony's end, I will post it here.
: This article was submitted by a volunteer contributor who has agreed to our code of conduct
. ComicBookMovie.com is protected from liability under "safe harbor" provisions and will disable users who knowingly commit plagiarism, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement. For expeditious removal, contact us HERE