BOX OFFICE: JOHN CARTER Limps To #3 Spot; Will International Receipts Save It?
Despite last week's strong opening, Disney and Andrew Stanton's John Carter has struggled to hit the #3 spot in its second week. Only what it makes internationally can save it from being a $100M+ write off for the studio. Read on for details.
Despite a stronger opening than originally expected, John Carter has had a disappointing second weekend at the box office. Not helped by the impressive debut of 21 Jump Street, the Disney film has slipped to the #3 spot with a measly $13.5M for the weekend. That's a drop of 55% reports Deadline in their analysis of the weekend's takings. The only thing that can now save the Andrew Stanton helmed film (based on the century old novels by Edgar Rice Borroughs) are international receipts. The past week has seen John Carter make $40.7M internationally for a worldwide cume of $179.3M. It's expected to finish at around the $80M mark stateside and it will have to perform exceptionally well over the next few weeks to be anything other than a $100M - $150M write off for the studio. With The Hunger Games and Wrath of the Titans on the way, it may struggle to ever reach profitability.
1. 21 Jump Street (MGM/Sony) NEW [3,121 Theaters] R-rated
Friday $13.2M, Saturday $13M, Weekend $35M
2. Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax (Illumination/Universal) Week 3 [3,769 Theaters] PG-rated
Friday $6.8M, Saturday $8.7M, Weekend $22.8M, Cume $158.4M
3. John Carter (Disney) Week 2 [3,749 Theaters] PG13-rated
Friday $3.9M, Saturday $5.6M, Weekend $13.5M (-55%), Cume $53.1M
4. Project X (Warner Bros) Week 3 [2,922 Theaters] R-rated
Friday $1.5M, Saturday $1.4M, Weekend $4.0M, Cume $48.1M
5. A Thousand Words (DWorks/Paramount) Week 2 [1,895 Theaters] PG13-rated
Friday $1.1M (-43%), Saturday $1.6M, Weekend $3.7M (-39%), Cume $12.1M
6. Act Of Valor (Relativity) Week 4 (2,765 Theaters] R-rated
Friday $1.1M, Saturday $1.4M, Weekend $3.6M, Cume $62.6M
7. Safe House (Universal) Week 6 [1,920 Theaters] R-rated
Friday $815K, Saturday $1.0M, Weekend $2.7M, Cume $120.2M
8. Journey 2 (Warner Bros) Week 6 [1,935 Theaters] PG-rated
Friday $716K, Saturday $975K, Weekend $2.4M, Cume $95M
8. Casa De Mi Padre (Lionsgate) NEW [382 Theaters] R-rated
Friday $782K, Saturday $784K, Weekend $2.2M
10. This Means War (Fox) Week 5 [1,660 Theaters] PG13-rated
Friday $745K, Saturday , Weekend $2.1M, Cume $50.5M
: ComicBookMovie.com is protected under the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) and... [MORE]