Super Scribes Orci and Kurtzman Keep Us In The Star Trek 2 Loop
When asked what actually had been done in regards to Star Trek 2 Orci states:
Sequel news regarding the best movie of the summer!!(Voted Best Movie Of The Summer By You ComicBookMovie Fans)
"We had about a 15-minute to half-hour discussion with the whole gang and went off on our separate ways. We're still in the re-reading and taking it all in phase before we actually sit down and start designing the film."
"We have to comb through everything and make sure that we leave no stone unturned because that was the approach that I think we were looking for on the first movie," states Kurtzman.
"And when you pitch an idea, sometimes someone will be like, 'Well, that's like that one episode,'" adds Orci. "Even in trying to stay away from it, you can crash back into it."
Kurtzman acknowledges the fact that there is a lot of buzz for the Star Trek Sequel: "We take nothing for granted at this point," he says. "We're only going to do it when it's really right."
Meaning it won't be rushed and done purely for the revenue. The studio has enough respect for the source material to take their time with the production, as to make a quality film.
The two Super Scribes also addressed rumors that the second Trek film will tie in directly with the Third:
"It was more the fact that we talked about the minute you start seeing how much Star Trek there is and how many ideas everyone is having, you realize you could have enough material for… Well, you know, there's been 43 years of material!" says Orci. "That's all that we meant by that. So, it happens to cross your mind, but we're not leaning one way or the other yet."
"It's a balance," adds Kurtzman. "The approach for us on the first movie was how do we please fans and how do we please people who have no relationship to Trek. It's a question we have to keep asking ourselves constantly. It's a very tricky formula because it's hard… A lot of what makes die-hard Trekkers really focused on Trek are those details that can sometimes be alienating to people that are not on the inside. So that leads us back to things of what are the big themes? Emotional ideas? That's a language that everybody speaks."
Other points of interest from this awesome IGN interview are below.
1) The phrase "He's dead, Jim" will likely show up in part two.
2) Frequent J.J. Abrams guest star Greg Grunberg has started a campaign to play classic Trek comedic villain Harry Mudd.
3) As previously reported, fellow Abrams collaborator (and producer on the first film) Damon Lindelof will join the writing team for the sequel. Of the writing method, Orci explains, "We're going to come up with a story together, obviously in consultation with J.J. and [executive producer] Bryan [Burk]. And then we're going to write it up together, the story, us and Damon. And then Alex and I will write the script."
4) Whether or not the pair will still be around for a third film is too early to tell.
5) And no, Khan did not even come up during the conversation!
: This article was submitted by a volunteer contributor who has agreed to our code of conduct
. ComicBookMovie.com is protected from liability under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) and "safe harbor" provisions. CBM will disable users who knowingly commit plagiarism, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement. Please contact us
for expeditious removal of copyrighted/trademarked content. You may also learn more about our copyright and trademark policies HERE