Interview About Upcoming "The Amazing Spider-man" movie tie-in game for iPhone, IOS and Android markets.
I talk to Callum Rowley who works at Gameloft about their new Spider-man game that's out now.
Recently I had a chance to talk to Callum Rowley of Gameloft about their upcoming game, "The Amazing Spider-man" for the IOS, iPhone and Android markets.
1. The E3 video of The Amazing Spider-man looked incredible for an IOS/Android game. Did you find that there were limitations in making this game for the IOS/Android market as opposed to making a game for a console like the Playstation 3 or the Xbox 360?
Gameloft has 10 years of experience making games for mobile devices, ranging from First Person Shooters to world building, and we have extensive experience in making compelling 3D experiences in open world sandbox environments (Gangstar, BackStab etc.). With The Amazing Spider-Man we’ve been able to put this knowledge and resource behind a very strong and established brand. Of course there are limitations in developing for iOS/Android compared to consoles, but we’ve always strived to provide the best possible experience – from beautiful graphics to intuitive touch controls – and this is exactly what we’ve done with this title.
2. Will the game follow the movie pretty closely or will it be like the console versions and have its own storyline?
The Amazing Spider-Man game for iPhone, iPad & Android follows the main storyline from the movie – however as this is an open world sandbox experience there is opportunity for the player to divert from the main story path to free roam, and also take part in side missions and daily quests to increase notoriety.
3. Can you tell us what villains will appear in the game?
Lizard and his henchmen play a big role in the game. Players will also encounter gang members, mobsters and other assorted bad guys as Spider-Man tackles crime around New York City. We may look at introducing more villains in future updates :)
4. On a personal level, what is your favourite part of The Amazing Spider-man game?
I’m a huge fan of the free roaming aspect of the game – with Spider-Man’s unique web slinging ability it makes swinging between skyscrapers and over vehicles / pedestrians such a thrilling experience – which can then be capped off by noticing a bunch of thugs harassing an innocent, only to descend upon them from above with a menacing attack. It really is quite the immersive experience.
5. Will there be any rewards for gamers once they finish the game such as unlockables, alternative costumes etc.? And if so, can you tell us what they are?
Throughout the game players will be able to explore the city freely finding various viewpoints, secrets and collectables scattered throughout the city. Collecting these throughout the game will grant the player a reward, but we’ll let players find out what exactly it is by themselves :)
6. Will players get to play as other popular characters in the Spider-man universe such as Venom?
In The Amazing Spider-Man players will only control Spider-Man. Adding additional player characters is something we might look into as part of an update post-release. However, we think with the extensive fighting system in-place – whereby players can unlock and use an array of combos and attacks (ranging from melee, ranged and zonal attacks) and an extensive skill tree system where players can upgrade and unlock various abilities Spider-Man has – players will be more than satisfied with only being able to play as Spider-Man.
7. When will the game be released? Where can it be bought and what is its retail/download price?
The Amazing Spider-Man will be available on Apple App Store and Google Play on Thursday 28th June. It’ll retail for £4.99.
Aidan Lucid is a freelance journalist and the author of a young adult fantasy novel, The Zargothian Tales: Return of the Son of Hamorin (www.thezargothiantales.com)
: This article was submitted by a volunteer contributor who has agreed to our code of conduct
. ComicBookMovie.com is protected from liability under "safe harbor" provisions and will disable users who knowingly commit plagiarism, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement. For expeditious removal, contact us HERE