More Details To Edgar Wright's ANT-MAN Departure

More Details To Edgar Wright's ANT-MAN Departure

We already know the gist of what led to Edgar Wright abandoning the Marvel adaptation he's been working on for 7+ years, but hit the jump and check out other interesting details of what went down.

It's only been a few days since Edgar Wright exited his adaptation of Ant-Man, and Marvel Studios is still very much eager to find his replacement and go into production in time for the film to meet its July 17, 2015, release date. However, according to The Hollywood Reporter, insiders think the studio's president of production Kevin Feige and co. may not be able to pull off the "risky" movie, which is scheduled to launch the third phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. "Sources say the film's key crew -- its heads of departments -- departed when it became clear production would not begin as scheduled July 28," notes THR article. "[Paul] Rudd's reps say he's still in, and a source close to the production says all key crew positions will be filled shortly." In addition, the trade magazine's insiders claim that Marvel wasn't happy with Edgar Wright's take "for weeks," and Feige had "ordered revisions of the script that was co-written by Wright and Joe Cornish." Wright was open to the revisions, but as previously reported, there were additional rewrites from within Marvel's camp without the director's input. After receiving the new revisions, it was then that Edgar Wright left the film he had been working on since 2006, before Marvel Studios was relevant. 

The Hollywood Reporter article goes on to explain how Kevin Feige's company "Marvel-izing" its adaptations has brought them into conflict with some of its previous directors as well as its stars. For example, Kenneth Branagh on Thor, Joe Johnston on Captain America: The First Avenger, original Thor: The Dark World director Patty Jenkins, and even Alan Taylor. And there's already a recent editorial on Comic Book Movie detailing the verbal scuffles that Marvel Studios has had with a handful of its actors. Anyhow, the source further notes that Edgar Wright's Ant-Man may have been "too quirky" for them, espcially since they already feel James Gunn's upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy is "out of their comfort zone." "Kevin Feige [and his top lieutenants] run Marvel with a singularity of vision, but when you take a true auteur and throw him into the mix, this is what you get," says one of The Hollywood Reporter's sources. "They don't want you to speak up too much or have too much vision. People who have never worked there don't understand how they operate, but if you trust them, they have an amazing track record." What do you think?

With a director said to be announced shortly, Ant-Man stars Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, Corey Stoll, Michael Pena and Patrick Wilson, and will release on July 17, 2015.

Posted By:
Member Since 3/30/2009
Filed Under "Ant-Man" 5/28/2014 Source: The Hollywood Reporter
DISCLAIMER: is protected under the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) and... [MORE]