The Avengers Movie Rumor Roundup
Though Marvel Studios is still half a year away from starting production on their highly anticipated ensemble film, the rumor stream surrounding has been continuous. Follow the jump to read them all...
The Avengers in undoubtedly the riskiest movie that Marvel Studios has planned. It will be the first big-budget film to feature an amalgam of mainstream superheroes, each of which will have their own respective 'prequels,' facing a common enemy on the silver screen. For fans of Marvel comics, it is both highly anticipated and very worrisome. It has already been confirmed that The Avengers will begin production in early 2011, which is still at least seven months away, but the rumors surrounding the project are abundant. If you're having a hard time staying up to date on The Avengers movie gossip, here's a breakdown of what we've heard so far:
- Joss Whedon, who was behind many popular television series including Buffy, Angel and Firefly, has been in negotiations to direct The Avengers for some time now. Though no official announcement has been made, several leading news sites have confirmed this information. His Marvel Studios directorial package includes script rewrites for the Captain America and Avengers films.
- So far, the confirmed line up of both primary and secondary characters for The Avengers is Iron Man/Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Captain America/Steve Rogers (Chris Evans), Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), Black Widow/Agent Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson) and Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg).
- Edward Norton, who portrayed Bruce Banner in The Incredible Hulk, has told the media that his reprisal in The Avengers is up to the fanbase. No official word about any negotiations currently underway between Norton and Marvel Studios has been released.
- Don Cheadle, who portrayed LTC Jim 'Rhodey' Rhodes/War Machine in Iron Man 2, was asked about his involvement in future Marvel Studios films, to which he answered: "I think we'll see War Machine in Avengers, but not necessarily on the team.."
- Late last year, The Hurt Locker star Jeremy Renner told the press that he was in talks with Marvel Studios to portray their skilled archer Clint Barton/Hawkeye for the film. Renner went as far as to see several costume designs for the character, and called them "weird." No word has been reiterated regarding this casting since Renner picked up an Oscar nomination this year.
- Actor and model Kevin Pennington has signed a three picture deal with Marvel Studios, though neither he nor his management team are aware of what the actual role is. He will supposedly be portraying a fan-favorite Marvel Comics character, who has been 'revamped' as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent in their films.
- Elektra star Jennifer Garner is allegedly being pursued by Marvel Studios for an "upcoming, undisclosed role" in either The Avengers or Captain America.
- Marvel Studios is also rumored to be in final negotiations with either Alice Eve (She's Out of My League) or Malin Akerman (Watchmen) for another role that is "important in their universe and whichever actress gets cast will potentially have the largest female role in the film." The two supposed character options are either Janet Van Dyne/The Wasp or S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel.
- Two different news sites are reporting contradictory stories that Nathan Fillion is in talks to portray Hank Pym/Ant-Man (or Giant-Man) in the film. While one site claims that Fillion is an official candidate for the role, another says there is absolutely no basis to the rumor.
- LOST star Josh Holloway has been recently linked to a "lead" role in The Avengers. Since he is considered a 'name actor,' the exact details of his supposed role would have to be finalized before he signs onto the film.
- The original Avengers movie script was penned by Zak Penn, who was also a scribe on X Men 2, The Incredible Hulk and Elektra. Since news that Joss Whedon signed on to direct The Avengers, he has supposedly been busy doing heavy rewrites on the script in preparation for a production start date sometime in early 2011.
- It was reported exclusively here that The Avengers will introduce the alien race the Skrulls and the Kree to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Their roles will be clandestine, much like how S.H.I.E.L.D. operates, and their actions will cause more than likely cause a full-on alien invasion in one of the sequels.
- Along with Kevin Pennington's casting came the rumor that he will portray the cosmic hero Captain Marvel (either Mar'Vell or Noh'Varr), who happens to have a strong association with the Kree alien race, in The Avengers. This rumor was dismissed when Pennington's agent contacted me last week with an official denial, but disclosed that his role would be revealed soon.
- The director on an upcoming Avengers animated film confirmed that the famous S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier will appear in the live action film: ""Certain things like the S.H.I.E.L.D helicarrier were made more modern than in the comics in order to fit in with designs they are working on for the Avengers movie." He went on to say that the superpowered heroine known as Ms. Marvel may also appear in the film.
Finally, here are a few random tidbits from around the internet regarding the film:
- The Avengers will not be the main focus of Marvel Studios until Captain America: The First Avenger is wrapped.
- The script is currently being tweaked and perfected to make sure the film emphasizes the core Avengers group and has a great story that will please the audience.
- The site responsible for the rumored cast additions of Kree aliens Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel have now contradicted themselves by saying the Kree aliens will not appear in The Avengers.
- Marvel continually meets with actors to sign them and place them in films when they find a fit for them. [EDITOR'S NOTE: Meaning, actors the studio specifically want could be put on retainer for roles that they are unaware of, since the roles may be modified during script rewrites}
- During the 2010 San Diego Comic Con International, fans will have some official details about the film's main influence, villains and new addition to the character roster.
Be sure to stay updated on all the breaking Avengers movie news and rumors here at ComicBookMovie.com!
: ComicBookMovie.com is protected under the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) and... [MORE]