Early analysis had Ghost Rider coming in second place with a solid $25 million opening. Whether it was by word of mouth, online petitions by fans to boycott the film in support of Gary Friedrich, or having seen the first film Ghost Rider came in third place with $22 million. Rentrak has the weekend box office projected figures. The Denzel Washington/Ryan Reynolds flick Safe House edged out The Vow in a close race. While Ghost Rider finished a close third, it was a disappointing opening. The first film made $45 million the opening weekend with $115 million total, stay tuned to see the final figures but it looks like we may be spared a third trip with The Rider.
1. Safe House $23,969,280
2. The Vow $23,600,000
3. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance $22,000,000
4. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island $20,085,000
5. This Means War $17,550,000
6. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 3D $7,865,000
7. Chronicle $7,500,000
8. The Woman in Black $6,645,000
9. The Secret World of Arrietty $6,375,000
10. The Grey $3,031,454
So, seen the movie yet? Are you surprised it finished 3rd? Thoughts, feelings, smart remarks? Sound off below!