In Depth Discussion On How Internet CENSORSHIP Will Affect YOU!
We must take this bill for what it is, loss of liberty.
Surely you've heard it by now but in case you haven't I will explain it yet again. SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) The bill, if made law, would expand the ability of U.S. law enforcement and copyright holders to fight online trafficking in copyrighted intellectual property and counterfeit goods. Protect IP also known as Senate Bill 968 or S. 968, is a proposed law with the stated goal of giving the US government and copyright holders additional tools to curb access to "rogue websites dedicated to infringing or counterfeit goods", especially those registered outside the U.S.
This is what WILL happen if this bill goes though. Some points may point out the extreme but the scary thing is, it COULD HAPPEN.
1. Torrent sites and other sites which host copyrighted material will still be around because there are several ways to get around any kind of blocking.
2. This isn't anything new. Entertainment industry's are complaining about something which doesn't exist. People who use the copyrighted material most of the time are not going to pay for the content anyway. If it wasn't free they wouldn't even check it out. So you get the same number of people that will pay for something, and those that don't. It won't make any difference. Besides what are they complaining about? Their audience is growing!
And if the movie industry is failing? It's not but just use the suspension of disbelief for a second. Look at this very good article about this: MovieIndustryKillingFilmsNotPirates
3. Back a long time ago we would tape record movies on TV to our VHS tapes. Was that considered pirating? We even recorded music from the radio. Was that considered pirating? No. So explain the difference? People still buy CD's, DVDs, and go to movies and people still work very hard to get them for free. Nothing has changed!
4. This will start something that is BIG, no HUGE. Think about it. First they say: You can not stream movies, music or any other content you do not buy. Okay, then what about going over to a person's house and watching a movie or listening to music your friend bought. YOU DID NOT BUY IT! SO IT MUST BE PIRATING! Wait. That's not pirating. Then why is the other pirating? But then it starts to go to where ONLY YOU can see the CONTENT YOU PURCHASE. What does that mean? To watch a movie you would have to close your door, lock your door in case someone comes in, then put in your ear buds/phones (so that no one can hear the copyrighted content), and then watch your movie. If you have anyone who sees the copyrighted content THEY DID NOT BUY accidental or not then you must report them. If you do not your are considered an accessory after the fact. But you might still be because after all you didn't take enough precautions in case this happened. Oh and using this logic to the fullest finally states that you would have to buy four copies of each film you watch, one for each eye and one for each ear. Of course this is quite taken to the extreme and would not hopefully be done. Although hopefully you can see the point of this analogy.
5. It would prevent education. Sites such as Wikipedia would be taken down, because they give synopsis of films, or even if not for that I'm sure there would be something else. Wikipedia has helped many to have such a better education and it would be shut down because of this. Even Youtube has educational videos on it and it would be shut down for the same reason.
6. This is a very well done video which explains probably even better than I have done of why this bill needs to be stopped:
PROTECT IP / SOPA Breaks The Internet from Fight for the Future on Vimeo.
For Comic Book lovers this is directly related to you. Even Marvel is supporting SOPA! SOPASupporters As well as several other companies. Be sure to contact these companies telling them how you feel about it. Here is Marvel Entertainment's Media Relations firstname.lastname@example.org email. Here is more contact information for Marvel: ContactMarvel
In conclusion this is bad. Very bad. Horrible in fact. We need to work together to STOP THIS BILL. In fact BURN AND BURY THIS BILL. So that it will never be able to come back. This is IMPORTANT. This is our DUTY. This is our LIBERTY.
GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH! -Patrick Henry
Be sure to CRUSH that THUMBS UP BUTTON, share on facebook, tweet on twitter, and talk to your friends about this.
: This article was submitted by a volunteer contributor who has agreed to our code of conduct
. ComicBookMovie.com is protected from liability under "safe harbor" provisions and will disable users who knowingly commit plagiarism, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement. For expeditious removal, contact us HERE