My Reaction To Seeing An Early Screening Of MAN OF STEEL (Mild Spoilers)
My thoughts on the new Superman film. Believe it or not, I have indeed seen the film (One of my most anticipated movies ever). In no way am I intending to violate embargo rules... Just giving a few thoughts (not a full review) on what I witnessed last night.
First off let me start off by saying I hope I am not violating any rules by posting this. If I am... I understand if this article needs to be deleted and will happily do so myself or be fine with it being taken off by administrators. Also, I know there will be the skeptics... But I can honestly say (after lobbying hard with some "Higher Ups" I work for) I was able to see an advanced screening of MAN OF STEEL last night. I write at a local blog/newspaper and work in the entertainment section and can't wait to review the film after the embargo is lifted. Until then (being a frequent visitor of comicbookmovie.com) I thought it only fair I share my thoughts about the film to those as excited as I was to see it. So let's begin....
• I think the one word I would use to describe this film (as cliche and overly used as it is) would be EPIC. The scope of this is unlike anything we have seen in a CBM. The amount of destruction in this movie is jaw-dropping.
• Those worried about action... Should not be. That is all I'll say about that.
• As far as the story goes I would say this is one of the most focused stories I've seen in some time. The writers/filmmaker knew exactly the story they wanted to tell... and unapologetically told it. This could be viewed as a negative by many due to certain characters not being fully fleshed out, although I LOVED it. Very refreshing to not have a convoluted plot.
• Zod is now the 2nd best villain in CBM history (No one can beat ledger's performance in my eyes). Michael Shannon is nothing short of sensational.
• Cavill... Is... SUPERMAN. Best interpretation we've seen... Including the animated versions. I was blown away at how this man encompassed everything we've ever loved about superman. You could tell how into this role he was. I know many were worried when the didn't show a lot of dialogue in the trailers... But you will be glad they didn't.... On that note...
• THEY HAVE SHOWN NOTHING IN THE TRAILERS. Literally all the best moments have not been shown.
• The CGI is some of (if not THE) best I've ever seen. Zack Snyder has such a way with special effects and even though it's so over the top... You believe you're actually witnessing these things occur... Which is a huge testament to the world they have created.
• Keep your eyes (and ears) peeled... There are in fact references to the DCU (however minor they may be)
NOW FOR MY NEGATIVES (though this is nitpicking)
• Amy Adams didn't fully sell me on Lois. Though it's not necessarily her fault. She surprisingly didn't have a ton of screen time. Hopefully she will be more developed in the sequel.
•....... Well... I guess that was my only negative.
I will be writing a full review as soon as I am able and dive into the million things I loved about this movie. Is it the greatest CMB of all time? If it's not... It's pretty damn close. Snyder should be embraced by fanboys across the globe when this hits. I know I can't wait to see it again and again.
: This article was submitted by a volunteer contributor who has agreed to our code of conduct
. ComicBookMovie.com is protected from liability under "safe harbor" provisions and will disable users who knowingly commit plagiarism, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement. For expeditious removal, contact us HERE