Update On THE DARK TOWER Cineamtic Plans
Producers Ron Howard and Brian Grazer have been trying to find a home for their ambitious film and television plans for Stephen King's The Dark Tower for quite some time. Are they close to having their original plan funded?
The Dark Tower is a series of novels from celebrated author Stephen King that mixes a number of genres (western, fantasy, sci-fi, horror) into one incredibly satisfying read. For nearly three years, Howard and Grazer have been approaching one studio after the next, looking to find a backer for their plans of adapting King's fantasy saga into a series of films with a television show that continues the story between movies. According to Deadline, Howard and Grazer are currently at the Cannes Film Festival looking to secure financial backing for a number of projects currently on their film slate and The Dark Tower happens to be one of those films. Reportedly, Grazer and Howard are in talks with a 'Silicone Valley investor" who is keen on putting up the money to see the duo's original vision come to life. Currently, that plan includes Russell Crowe (Man of Steel) to assume the lead role of gunslinger, Roland Deschain. Media Rights Capital was the latest studio to express interest in the project but they were only willing to commit to one film upfront, with more contingent upon box office reception.
Why Universal Studios Passed On The Dark Tower And At The Mountains of Madness
The Dark Tower Still Being Shopped By Ron Howard and Brian Grazer
THE DARK TOWER Filming Saga:
- Back in 2009 J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof were attached to a planned adaptation that was set to begin once Lost ended. However, later that year the duo announced they were backing off the project for undisclosed reasons.
- In 2010, Ron Howard and Brian Grazer secured film rights and announced their ambitious plan with Universal Pictures for several films and a television show that would bridge the gap between each film.
- A release date was set for 2013.
- Later that year Javier Bardem, Christian Bale and Viggo Mortensen were announced as the frontrunners for the lead role of Roland Deschain, with Javier Bardem eventually winning out.
-Naomie Harris was also rumored for the role of Susannah Dean. But that was never confirmed.
- In 2011, Universal put the project on hold due to cost concerns.
- Later in 2011, the project landed at HBO but only the tv portion. Howard and Grazer were still searching for a home for the film component.
- In 2012, Warner Bros. expressed interest but with Russell Crowe in the lead, not Javier Bardem.
- But later in 2012, Warner Bros. dropped out just like Universal.
- However Media Rights Capital quickly stepped in and expressed strong interest in producing a film.
- Earlier in 2013, Netflix expressed interest in assuming the television portion of Howard and Grazer's plans and confirmed that more serious talks would occur once Arrested Development finished filming.
The Dark Tower series tells the story of Roland Deschain, Mid-World’s last gunslinger, who is traveling southeast across Mid-World’s post-apocalyptic landscape, searching for the powerful but elusive magical edifice known as The Dark Tower. Located in the fey region of End-World, amid a sea of singing red roses, the Dark Tower is the nexus point of the time-space continuum. It is the heart of all worlds, but it is also under threat. Someone, or something, is using the evil technology of the Great Old Ones to destroy it.
Inspired in equal parts by Robert Browning’s poem, “Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came,” J.R.R. Tolkein’s Lord of the Rings, and Sergio Leone’s spaghetti Western classics, The Dark Tower series is an epic of Arthurian proportions. It is Stephen King’s magnum opus, and is the center of his amazing creative universe.
: This article was submitted by a volunteer contributor who has agreed to our code of conduct
. ComicBookMovie.com is protected from liability under "safe harbor" provisions and will disable users who knowingly commit plagiarism, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement. For expeditious removal, contact us HERE