Guillermo del Toro Responds To 'Poor Tracking' Report On PACIFIC RIM
'We are on the right track," Pacific Rim director Guilermo del Toro states as he counters recent chatter of a 'soft opening' for his mecha vs kaiju sci-fi summer film. A poor box office performance would be very untimely for Legendary Pictures as they seek a new studio home.
"We just need to keep working. Our numbers are going up. Not in a minor way. Significant. We are on the right track," del Toro wrote in an unofficial response to recent articles forecasting a poor box office performance for "Pacific Rim." The timely post on the director's official fan site comes after a report from Variety which asks "Is Pacific Rim Doomed to be This Year’s Battleship?" Ouch!
On the left: An image from the film's viral marketing campaign which reveals the toxic nature of kaiju blood.
Warner Bros. co-financed 25% of the film with its now ex-partner, Legendary Pictures who may be loosening neck-ties and wringing hands as they're on the hook for the remaining 75%. In speaking about the film's direct competition with "Grown Ups 2", del Toro stated, "Whatever sequel opens will have, by definition, higher awareness and numbers across the board but we are moving strongly in the right direction." "Pacific Rim" has an estimated production budget of $180-200 million dollars. Taking that into account with recent reports that state "Grown Ups 2" is currently tracking for a $40 million dollar opening weekend and that "Pacific Rim" is on pace for less than that, the film will need a VERY strong international box office performance to support what now looks to be imprudent talks of a sequel.
Twitter Buzz: PACIFIC RIM
Rinko Kikuchi Discusses Guillermo del Toro's PACIFIC RIM
GAIKING Set For Live-Action Adaptation
Live-Action VOLTRON Movie Still In Development
"When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes—a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)—who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse."
Running Time: In post-production
Release Date: July 12th, 2013 (USA)
MPAA Rating: This Film Has Not Yet Been Rated
Starring:Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, Ron Perlman
Directed by: Guillermo del Toro
Written by: Travis Beacham
: This article was submitted by a volunteer contributor who has agreed to our code of conduct
. ComicBookMovie.com is protected from liability under "safe harbor" provisions and will disable users who knowingly commit plagiarism, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement. For expeditious removal, contact us HERE