New Spidey Suit Dissected By Marc Webb And Costume Designer Deborah Lynn Scott
Details on the new Spider-Man suit worn by Andrew Garfield in "TASM2" are revealed by Webb and Scott courtesy of EW. Nods to the Raimi Spider-Man suit? Check. MP3 in the web shooters? Check. Wait...
"The truth is we heard the world," said producer Avi Arad in discussing fan complaints that the Spider-Man suit worn by Andrew Garfield strayed too far from the source material. To that end, Webb, Tolmach, Scott and a whole team worked on a new design that aims to please hardcore Spider-Man fans. This is their end product.
(1) "We've got the best eyes of any suit," boasted director Marc Webb. He continued, "Really big, very warm white eyes." Costume designer Lynn Scott added, "They're very expressive in their own way." An improvement I think over the eyes in the costume from the reboot but better than the eyes on the costume worn by Tobey Maguire? Take it to the comment section to decide.
(2) There's a belt this time around but it doesn't appear to serve any particular function. "It's there in the source material, so this one does," have a belt this time around says the costume designer. But she doesn't know exactly why he needs one. "I don't know," she admitted. She continued "He just always has. There are rules to comic-book characters." Well, comic book fans know that Spidey's belt actually serves a number of purposes but the primary use is that Peter Parker actually has a camera installed in the buckle which he uses to take pictures of his fights with the bad guys and sell to the Daily Bugle. Sound like that may not make it into the sequel. But we don't know if Parker will even have his freelance photographer gig going on yet.
(3) The webbing pattern on the suit was executed using a computer 3-D program. EW reports that the pattern on the front of the suit is intended as an homage to the Sam Raimi costume worn by Tobey Maguire.
(4) There's an MP3 player in Spidey's web shooters. I wonder what's on his playlist while fighting bad guys like Electro and Rhino. Hopefully we see Spider-Man run out of web fluid, a dilemma the webslinger has encountered countless times in his comic book escapades.
(5) In terms of the color, Scott says determining the shade of blue and red was one of the hardest decisions to make. In the end they went for a more darker tone than the colors chosen last time around.
'TEEN WOLF' Actress Holland Roden In The Mix For MJ In 'THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN' Franchise?
New Set Photos From THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2
Marc Webb Teases AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Supervillian Prison
Running Time: In Post-Production
Release Date: May 2, 2014 (USA)
MPAA Rating: This Film Has Not Yet Been Rated
Starring: Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Sally Field,
Shaeline Woodley, Paul Giamatti, Jamie Foxx, Felicity Jones, Colm Feore, Dane DeHaan and Martin Sheen.
Directed by: Marc Webb
Written by: James Vanderbilt (story),Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Jeff Pinkner (screenplay)
"In “The Amazing Spider-Man™ 2,” for Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), life is busy – between taking out the bad guys as Spider-Man and spending time with the person he loves, Gwen (Emma Stone), high school graduation can’t come quickly enough. Peter hasn’t forgotten about the promise he made to Gwen’s father to protect her by staying away – but that’s a promise he just can’t keep. Things will change for Peter when a new villain, Electro (Jamie Foxx), emerges, an old friend, Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan), returns, and Peter uncovers new clues about his past. The film is directed by Marc Webb from a screenplay by Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci & Jeff Pinkner, with a previous draft by James Vanderbilt, and based on the Marvel Comic Book by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are the producers. The latest chapter in the Spider-Man story is set for release in 3D on May 2, 2014. "
: This article was submitted by a volunteer contributor who has agreed to our code of conduct
. ComicBookMovie.com is protected from liability under "safe harbor" provisions and will disable users who knowingly commit plagiarism, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement. For expeditious removal, contact us HERE