SDCC '13: ROBOCOP' Panel Recap
Check out a recap of the "RoboCop" portion of Sony's San Diego Comic Con panel. While reactions were mixed on the story, most agreed that the visuals were top notch. The reaction seems to be cautiously optimistic to the reboot project.
- Panel opened with a news show narrated by Samuel L. Jackson who took us into the world of RoboCop. Jackson's character is named Novak. He's on a segment that discusses robotic efforts to promote peace abroad and at home in America. Field report takes us to the streets where silver robots with red laser eyes are patrolling the streets, They look like terminators. There are even bigger robots coming behind them.
- Michael Keaton says his character is the ultimate pragmatist.
- Samuel L. Jackson describes Pat Novak as "Rush Sharpton".
- Alex Murphy is with his family but gets blown up in a car bomb. Michael Keaton's character works on saving Murphy's life. They put him inside a machine. "We're gonna put a man inside of a machine." Cut to scenes of RoboCop in action. His visor is retractable and remains up during social interaction and comes down in combat. Government laws state that machines can't pull gun triggers in the US (but they can on foreign territory) so they keep Murphy's human hand so he's except from that law.
- Michael Keaton says he didn't want to be another cliche villain.
- Kinnaman: "The big difference with our version is that Alex doesn't die - he's amputated from the throat down, pretty much." Over the course of the movie, he has this internal battle with the artificial intelligence and his own soul. "That was the challenge to portray that."
- Director Jose Padiha says, "You should never fear a gun, you should fear the guy that's holding the gun, because the gun doesn't shoot itself." He added that the film explores technology and accountability and that RoboCop will address advancements in technology.
"In RoboCop, the year is 2028 and multinational conglomerate OmniCorp is at the center of robot technology. Their drones are winning American wars around the globe and now they want to bring this technology to the home front. Alex Murphy (Kinnaman) is a loving husband, father and good cop doing his best to stem the tide of crime and corruption in Detroit. After he is critically injured in the line of duty, OmniCorp utilizes their remarkable science of robotics to save Alex's life. He returns to the streets of his beloved city with amazing new abilities, but with issues a regular man has never had to face before."
RoboCop (2014) is a remake of the classic 1987 sci-fi film from director Paul Verhoeven and lead actor Peter Weller. The remake will be directed by José Padilha and star Joel Kinnaman (The Killing). Also starring are Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Keaton, Abbie Cornish and Jackie Earle Haley. Hugh Laurie was originally set to play Keaton's role before dropping out of the picture. The film is a joint-production between MGM and Sony.
: This article was submitted by a volunteer contributor who has agreed to our code of conduct
. ComicBookMovie.com is protected from liability under "safe harbor" provisions and will disable users who knowingly commit plagiarism, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement. For expeditious removal, contact us HERE